Subject: Re: Booting a Beige G3 266mhz (OF 2.4) box (was "Re: Install problems
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin Keith Woo <kkwoo@sdf1.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/21/2002 05:33:19
On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > "boot ide1/disk@0:0,\OFWBOOT.XCF;1 NETBSD_G.GZ;1" command.
>
> Is the above command what you typed? Because it won't work. :-(

Yes, that's the comamnd I typed. You are correct; it didn't work (:

> I assume you're using a CD? That's the only place the ";1" matters (files
> on CDs can have versions and you're saying you want version 1). Once you
> get far enough along that you're reading from an ffs file system, our code
> will think the ";1" is part of the name and get confused.

Yes, I'm booting from a CD. I have no other booting methods open to me. The floopy disk drive refuses to work (even in MacOS 9.1, I cannot use the floopy diskdrive).

I won't be using the "boot ide1/disk@0:0,\OFWBOOT.XCF;1 NETBSD_G.GZ;1" command anymore. I removed the ":0" so that the command became "boot ide1/disk@0,\ ..." and I received the "unrecognized client program format" message. I added the ":" back so the command became "boot ide1/disk@0:,\OFWBOOT.XCF;1 NETBSD.GMD;1" and I received the "CLAIM failed" message again. Since removing the ":0" and the "0" after the ":" didn't work, I'll be trying to boot by settting the "boot-device" and "boot-file" parameters and then invoking "0 bootr".

I tried setting the "boot-device" to "ide1/@0:,\OFWBOOT.XCF;1" and "boot-file" to "NETBSD_G.GZ". This resulted in repeated "Warning, unexpected short transfer 0/10240" messages again. Then I tried setting "boot-device" to "ide1/@0:,\OFWBOOT.XCF", and I received repeated "unrecognized client program format" messages. If I set "boot-device" to "ide1/,\OFWBOOT.XCF;1", I receive multiple "unable to open: ide/,\OFWBOOT.XCF;1", and then the G3 resets and boots into MacOS. I've mis-understood how I should fix the problem. What do you recommend I set for "boot-device" and "boot-file"? I believe "boot-device" should be set to "ide1/@0:,\OFWBOOT.XCF;1" because at least OFWBOOT.XCF appears to load (as indicated by the appearance of the "NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.6" message). However, the values I enter for the "boot-file" have mystified me (: I've set "boot-file" to "NETBSD_G.GZ", and I still get repeated "Warning, unexpected short transfer 0/10240" messages.

kkwoo@sdf1.org