Subject: Re: Booting a Beige G3 266mhz (OF 2.4) box (was "Re: Install problems with
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin K Woo <kevwoo@au1.ibm.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/18/2002 09:06:20
Hi Bill,

      The "unrecognized Client Program format state not valid" message
disappeared when I changed the boot command from:

      boot ide1/disk@0:0,OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.MACPPC

      boot ide1/disk@0:0,OFWBOOT.XCF;1 NETBSD.MACPPC;1

      I tried the above trick when I noticed from
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2002/09/15/0012.html that Markus W
Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de> put a ";1" at the end of the
bootloader and kernel filenames. It seems that OF 2.4 requires the ";1" to
find the files. May I suggest adding this ";1" trick to the INSTALL
instructions for OF 2.4? Right now, neither the 1.6 or 1.5.2 or 1.5.3
INSTALL macppc documents mentions the ";1" trick (if it did, I would have
done so earlier, thereby avoiding me from starting this thread (*:   ).

      Since I've learned the filenames which OF 2.4 sees, I now get the
same error messages as Markus W Kilbinger (even the code, %SSR0 and %SRR1
values are identical! I still need to confirm if all the other variable
values are the same too):

<start>
   loader: loading XCOFF
   tsize=cbb0 dsize=14a8 bsize=2670 entry=640000
   SECTIONS:
   .text    00640000 00640000 0000cbb0 000000e0
   .data    0064d000 0064d000 000014a8 0000cc90
   .bss     0064e4a8 0064e4a8 00002670 00000000
   clearing .bss, done..

   DEFAULT CATCH!, code=fff00300 at   %SRR0: 00640018   %SRR1: 00003070
</start>

      Occasionally, I get "CLAIM failed" messages as well. In accordance to
the INSTALL document, I always ensure that load-base=600000 and
real-base=F00000. I've tried load-base=640000 without success.

      I burnt NetBSD macppc 1.6 on a pure ISO9660 format, but I still
receive the "CLAIM failed" or "DEFAULT CATCH!" error messages. I've now
tried booting the 1.5.2 standard macppc ISO and a home-made 1.6 pure
ISO-9660 CD, both without success.

      Since I'm now at the same stage of progress with Donald Lee and
Markus W Kilbinger, perhaps we can close this thread, and continue this
discussion under the "Re: Power Macintosh G3 (rev. 2, OF 2.4) won't boot :
-(" thread instead.

      I appreciate that all the assistance I've received from everyone is
in free time, and I thank you all again for all your efforts.

Humbly Yours,

Kevin Keith WOO
Analyst Programmer
IBM Global Services Australia
Ph: +61-2-9354-7757
E-mail : kevwoo@au1.ibm.com

                      Bill Studenmund
                      <wrstuden@netbsd.        To:       Kevin K Woo/Australia/IBM@IBMAU
                      org>                     cc:       <michael@nosflow.com>, <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
                                               Subject:  Re: Booting a Beige G3 266mhz (OF 2.4) box (was "Re: Install problems with Beige
                      18/09/02 03:41 AM         G3 (OFW 2.4)")

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Kevin K Woo wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
>       I've noticed that the OF 2.4 boot procedure is different in the 1.6
> INSTALL document compared to the 1.5.2 INSTALL document. The change I
> noticed was the relevant boot invocation command in the 1.5.3 and 1.6
> INSTALL documents is:
>
>       boot ide1/disk@0:0 NETBSD.MACPPC
>
>       While in the 1.5.2 document it was:
>
>       boot ide1/disk@0:0,OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.MACPPC

Hmmm... OFWBOOT.XCF should probably be there.

>       I've tried both commands to boot the NetBSD 1.5.2 macppc standard
> ISO, but both commands gave me the "unrecognized Client Program format
> state not valid" error message. I'm quite confident that I've typed in
the

What are the exact messages, both the error and preceeding it?

That sounds like an OF error message. If ofwboot.xcf fires up, it'll print
a message indicating it did so. Do you see that?

> filenames of the bootloader ("OFWBOOT.XCF" in uppercase) and the gzip'ed
> kernel ("NETBSD.MACPPC", also in uppercase), because these filenames are
> the filenames I see when I invoke "dir ide1/disk@0:0" while in OF 2.4. I
> also tried the boot command with the filenames in lowercase
("ofwboot.xcf"
> and "netbsd.macppc"), and naturally, that didn't work either.
>
>       From the INSTALL instructions and the port-macppc mailing list,
I've
> seen that booting a hybrid CD with an OF 2.4 machine has brought mixed
> results. Should the NETBSD.MACPPC file be gzip'ed when on the CD? I do
not
> know whether the OFWBOOT.XCF can decompress the gzip'ed NETBSD.MACPPC
file.
> If the OFWBOOT.XCF file doesn't decompress gzip files, then that may
> explain why I've been unable to boot the standard 1.5.2 macppc ISO, given
> the NETBSD.MACPPC file in the standard 1.5.2 macppc ISO appears to be
> gzip'ed.

Take care,

Bill