Subject: Re: FAQ: Booting a 7300
To: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@stack.nl>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/13/2002 11:54:32
At 2:47 PM +0200 9/12/02, Martijn van Buul wrote:
>Michael Lorenz wrote:
>>  Hi there,
>>
>>  >Yes, i know. I'm asking a FAQ. My newly-acquired 7300 doesn't boot straight
>>  >away into NetBSD, because the drive hasn't spun up. And I'm asking for
>>  >hints how to fix it.
>>  Hmm, have a close look at the harddisk - some ( notably IBM ) drives have a
>>  jumper labeled "auto spinup" or "delay spinup" and so on. Play with them.
>
>Sorry for the confusion: The thing boots alright - it boots too early,
>when the drive hasn't completely powered up *yet*. Once it has completed
>spinning up, it'll boot just fine.
>
>The FAQ suggests adding something like:
>
>: wBoot
>begin
>  boot-device ['] $boot catch drop
>  ." -Waiting for boot-device" cr
>  d# 500 ms
>  key? until
>;
>
>to the nvramrc. And it seems to make sense.
>
>Unfortunately, I cannot add this patch, since nvstore complains that the NVRAM
>string is too big!

Try deleting some of the patches that are already in NVRAM.  My
experience is that you need the monitor sync and wBoot patches more
than you need the other ones supplied by SystemDisk.  I've always
been able to get both of those and still keep a few of the other
patches around as well.

Some of the SystemDisk patches can be harmful in some circumstances anyway.