Subject: problems with performa/6360
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: james taylor <logik@gateway.net.au>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/08/2002 01:54:23
Hello all,

I recently received a Performa 6360, and followed the installation guide for
NetBSD/Macppc 1.6D.
I'm having problems with the open firmware side of things. I've read that
open firmware and the onboard video can cause problems, so
I have defaulted to the serial console. I've followed the standard procedure
of:

0 > dev /openprom  ok
0 > .properties
name                    openprom
model                   Open Firmware, 2.0
relative-addressing

 ok
0 > setenv auto-boot? false  ok
0 > setenv load-base 600000  ok
0 > setenv real-base F00000  ok
0 > reset-all

This lands me back at the prompt as expected, so when I try to list the SCSI
ID of my cdrom drive:

0 > dev /  ok
0 > dev scsi-int  ok
0 > show-children
DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00300 at   %SRR0: FF809128   %SRR1: 0000B070
 ok

I just confirmed that the cdrom was actually scsi, and the harddisk was ide:

0 > devalias
pci1                /bandit@F2000000
fd                  /bandit/ohare/swim3
kbd                 /bandit/ohare/via-cuda/adb/keyboard
mouse               /bandit/ohare/via-cuda/adb/mouse
ttya                /bandit/ohare/escc/ch-a
ttyb                /bandit/ohare/escc/ch-b
scsi                /bandit/ohare/mesh
scsi-int            /bandit/ohare/mesh
ata                 /bandit/ohare/ATA
ata-int             /bandit/ohare/ATA
screen              /valkyrie

This got me nowhere, so I booted back into MacOS and did an applekey-I on
the cdrom drive (with a disk inserted), and it listed as SCSI ID 3,
which basically means to me that the cdrom itself is fine, which was further
tested by running a few programs off cd. Back to open firmware (with
all the settings reentered) to try and boot the loader with the bits of
information i had:

0 > dev scsi-int/sd@3  ok
0 > words
load            write           read            seek            close
open
write-blocks    read-blocks     max-transfer    block-size      dma-sync
dma-map-out
dma-map-in      dma-free        dma-alloc
 ok

Everything seems ok here, lets do a directory list:

0 > dir scsi-int/sd@3:,\

Uh oh, its frozen. In a seperate attempt to boot the loader off a floppy
disk, the same 'freeze' happened. Keep in mind that this happens on the
serial console as well.

Any ideas?

james.