Subject: Re: Load-base in documentation
To: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/06/2002 13:27:17
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Daniel Eggert wrote:

> The documentation at
> 	http://www.dk.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html
> Says:
>
> 	The NetBSD 1.5.3 and later versions of ofwboot.xcf have been set to
> use 640000. Therefore, you should use a load-base of 600000.
>
> 	The ofwboot.xcf from NetBSD versions prior to 1.5.3 had been set to
> use 600000. Therefore, if you're trying to boot using this bootloader,
> you should use a load-base of 640000 or get a newer version of
> ofwboot.xcf
>
> Does this mean I have to set the load-base to 600000 or to 640000 when
> running 1.5.3 or later. I'm a bit confused, and someone should probably
> correct this.

"Therefore, you should use a load-base of 600000."

1st, you are using OF 2 or 1, yes? DON'T set load-base on OF 3 systems, as
on some of them doing so wipes the flash.

Perhaps this would be better:

      The NetBSD 1.5.3 and later versions of ofwboot.xcf have been set to
use 640000. Due to a perculiarity of Apple's Open FIrmware, load-base must
be an address different from the address ofwboot.xcf is set to use.
Therefore, you should use a load-base of 600000. This value is also the
correct one for booting MacOS X.

Take care,

Bill