Subject: How to Check NVRAM Capacity on x500/x600 Machine?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Walther <trag@io.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/22/2002 13:21:03
The "NetBSD/macppc nvedit HOW-TO" page states, "Note: some Open
Firmware 1.0.5 systems do not have enough NVRAM storage for the
System Disk patches in addition to a nvalias setting. You should
probably keep the System Disk patches instead of the nvalias. "

So, I've replaced the 8K X 8 SRAM chip which is used for NVRAM with a
32K X 8 SRAM chip.  If Apple implemented one pin that is unused on
the 8K chip as an address line (engineers often leave things like
that in a design to allow for late component changes) then this
machine should now have at least 16K of total NVRAM capacity and
possibly 32K.

But I have no idea how to check whether the capacity of the NVRAM has
increased--and specifically the space available for the NVRAMrc file.
So would someone tell me how to tell if I've increased the space
available for NVRAMrc?   I'm not much of an OF hacker, so if there's
a utility that can read it out, that would be great.  If not, I'll
muddle through (and be greatful for) instructions on how to do so in
the OF terminal.

Jeff Walther