Subject: Re[3]: cannot boot -current, any help appreciated
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Maarten L. Hekkelman <maarten@hekkelman.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/29/2002 22:07:29
Hello Bill,

>> > I don't think we're going to like booting off of wd0g.
>>
>> hmmm... and why not?

> No particular reason, just I don't think it'll work. :-|

Too bad, did work in 1.5.2

>> > Also, the partition code has changed some, so that might be the problem. I
>> > thought it was done in a backwards-compat way, but maybe not.
>>
>> > Two things:
>>
>> > 1) try a 1.6 install floppy, boot, get to a shell, and disklabel wd0.
>>
>> OK, I booted off the 27-6 code, did a disklabel on wd0 changing the a
>> partition type to Linux Ext2 and the g partition type to 4.2BSD. But
>> that doesn't help, it still loads the linux partition as wd0a and the
>> NetBSD partition as wd0g.

> You have an apple-partition-map partitioned disk. disklabel won't change a
> thing. You need to use either pdisk or an Apple partitioning package to
> change the partitioning.

Eh, disklabel did actually change things. I could change the fstype of
the various disks. I changed the linux partition from 4.2BSD to
LinuxExt2 and the NetBSD partition from HFS to 4.2BSD. Did work even
after rebooting.

But the order in the list stayed the same, so the netbsd partition
still was wd0g.

Then I did something stupid, ran disklabel on wd0 and that wiped out
the entire partition table. I'm glad I don't need this machine for
anything serious soon :-)

> What does fsck on the floppy say about wd0g? What fs type? Also, why are
> you having to set wd0g to be 4.2BSD? It should already be that.

I don't have a floppy drive, this is an iBook.

And the wd0g disk had fstype HFS since it was an HFS disk originally.
I made it a netbsd disk using newfs.

>> > 2) For 1.6, make the boot partition of type "NetBSD/MacPPC" and it'll show
>> > up as wd0a.
>>
>> You mean 4.2BSD right?

> No, go into the Apple part map, and use type "NetBSD/MacPPC".

Call me stupid, but where should I go into? You mean I should use the
commandline app disklabel for this? If I try it tells me it doesn't
know this kind of fstype.

>> Any other suggestions? Yes, I know, I can wipe off Linux but I'd
>> rather not at this moment.

> What does disklabel say?

IIRC, wd0a was a 4.2BSD disk but actually it contained my Linux
partition. wd0b is the swap partition, shared by Linux and NetBSD.
wd0g was my NetBSD root partition and the rest was pretty much
standard.

Well, got a new problem for you. So I wiped out the disk and had to
install from scratch. Created a bunch of partitions and installed
NetBSD 1.5.2 from an iso image using sysinst. All went fine, except...

I now have this small HFS partition at hd:9. I copied ofwboot.xcf in
this partition. Netbsd root disk is at hd:11. So I try to boot from
the OF prompt using:

boot hd:9,ofwboot.xcf hd:11

Doesn't work. The bootloader cannot find the kernel at hd:11. I have
to copy a kernel to the HFS disk in order to boot and then everything
works. What the heck it this? Before I wiped the disk this did work,
now it doesn't.

--
Best regards,
 Maarten                            mailto:maarten@hekkelman.com