Subject: Re[2]: cannot boot -current, any help appreciated
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Maarten L. Hekkelman <maarten@hekkelman.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/28/2002 17:20:58
Hello Bill,

>> I need to boot from device wd0g since wd0a contains Linux. But in the
>> new kernel I get the error:
>>
>> no file system for wd0 (dev 0xa06)
>> cannot mount root, error = 79

> I don't think we're going to like booting off of wd0g.

hmmm... and why not?

> Also, the partition code has changed some, so that might be the problem. I
> thought it was done in a backwards-compat way, but maybe not.

> Two things:

> 1) try a 1.6 install floppy, boot, get to a shell, and disklabel wd0.

OK, I booted off the 27-6 code, did a disklabel on wd0 changing the a
partition type to Linux Ext2 and the g partition type to 4.2BSD. But
that doesn't help, it still loads the linux partition as wd0a and the
NetBSD partition as wd0g.

> 2) For 1.6, make the boot partition of type "NetBSD/MacPPC" and it'll show
> up as wd0a.

You mean 4.2BSD right?

Any other suggestions? Yes, I know, I can wipe off Linux but I'd
rather not at this moment.

--
Best regards,
 Maarten                            mailto:maarten@hekkelman.com