Subject: Re: cannot boot -current, any help appreciated
To: Maarten L. Hekkelman <maarten@hekkelman.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/26/2002 10:33:00
On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Maarten L. Hekkelman wrote:

> I have an iBook with MacOS, LinuxPPC and now NetBSD. It was a
> challenge to get this working since NetBSD's installer doesn't like it
> when there are already Linux partitions on the disk. No way to select
> the right partition to use. So I did all the work by hand and got
> 1.5.2 running.
>
> Upgraded to 1.5.3 the normal way, went perfect.
>
> Then I wanted to upgrade the kernel to -current to be able to use the
> airport. Tried several configurations but didn't succeed, even a plain
> vanilla GENERIC. This was with the code from 20020426

Please try more recent code. 1.6 is in the final stages, so please try it.

> I need to boot from device wd0g since wd0a contains Linux. But in the
> new kernel I get the error:
>
> no file system for wd0 (dev 0xa06)
> cannot mount root, error = 79
>
> Strange, since with 1.5.2 and 1.5.3_RC2 there is no problem.
>
> Any ideas? Anything I can do to find out the problem?

I don't think we're going to like booting off of wd0g.

Also, the partition code has changed some, so that might be the problem. I
thought it was done in a backwards-compat way, but maybe not.

Two things:

1) try a 1.6 install floppy, boot, get to a shell, and disklabel wd0.

2) For 1.6, make the boot partition of type "NetBSD/MacPPC" and it'll show
up as wd0a.

Take care,

Bill