Subject: Re: Booting a 4400 and 800x600 monitors
To: Marco van de Voort <marcov@dragon.stack.nl>
From: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@stack.nl>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/22/2002 00:22:49
Heya Marco  ;)

Marco van de Voort wrote:

> - The comslot ethernet is detected but doesn' work,
>    a RTL 8029 in a PCI slot works fine.

What do you mean by detected? "blah blah not configured" ?

> - I can't see any detection of an audio device.

Are you using the GENERIC kernel? It might not have been enabled. The
awacs driver isn't very useful, anyway. It doesn't work on all platforms.

> - X starts up, but the mouse doesn't work, and neither does
> 	ctrl-alt-backspace.

ctrl-alt-backspace probably never will work. I for one never got to work
on my machine. Regarding the mouse: Is it reported by the kernel? it should
dump out some status info while probing the adb bus. "ams0 at adb0 addr 3:
1-button, 100dpi mouse. Furthermore, wsmouse0 should connect to it
(wsmouse at ams0 mux 0).

> - The memory footprints of apps seem to be quite large, compare to i386.

Seems to be a feature of the platform.

> - I turned autoboot on again (to allow the machine to come up again after a
> crash/remote reboot). However I don't have MacOS anymore (can't be on the
> same disc on pre 3 OF). Is there a bootvariables prog for NetBSD?

Not that I'm aware off; but you can get into OF without the help of MacOS.
Press OPTION, COMMAND, O and F at boot time. Might take a few time before
it works, though. Alternatively, you might try 'halt' instead of poweroff.
It should return to open firmware, although OF will be seriously hobbled
by then. Then again, it should still be able to modify the auto-boot? variable

> I'm supping now, and hope to compile a new kernel tonight, to fix some
> of these issues

NetBSD-current fixed a lot of issues on my beige G3. But some of your problems
(Like the audio device) won't be any different.

> To give you an idea: I spent 2 full evenings to get it to work. And I
> already tried to read in at work before.

*cough*

"Will help out for beer".

> The only way to fix this IMHO is to make model (or family) specific
> summaries per model. to create a more chronological treatise of the
> procedure.

Martijn (Makes mental notice to finally hand over that stupid VGA adapter
to you)
--
    Martijn van Buul -  Pino@dohd.org - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
	 Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333