Subject: Re: MBR partitioning
To: itojun@iijlab.net, Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/13/2002 15:05:49
At 6:50 AM +0900 6/14/02, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
>	from my understanding, openbsd ofwboot (in DOS partition) loads
>	openbsd kenrel from openbsd partition (FDISK partition 1, a partition).
>	so there should be no need for libsa/dosfs.c to do any tricks.
>
>	FDISK partition 0
>		MS-DOS, 1MB
>	FDISK partition 1
>		OpenBSD, with standard normal disklabel

I'm reading between the lines here, but if I understand the situation
then OpenBSD has discovered that some (all?) versions of Open
Firmware support FDISK partitioning with MS-DOS formatted partitions
and can load ofwboot from the MS-DOS partition.

This is certainly interesting, and probably not hard to support in NetBSD.

However I think our goal here is to be able to boot from an Apple
Partition Map disk with all OF versions.  This is already possible
with OF 3.  There are some non-NetBSD booters (for Linux) which could
be adapted for us and support all OF versions, but we don't
understand them well enough.