Subject: Re: compatibility of new iBook
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Ian Piumarta <ian.piumarta@inria.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/13/2002 19:31:08
On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

> >A few months back I wrote the driver for the APM emulation device plus the
> >necessary stuff for it to read what it needs out of the PMU.  This was all
> >against 1.5ZC (NFS wasn't working reliably for me in -current) but if you
> >want the patches I could dig them out.  Of course, if the new iBook hasn't
> >got a PMU then this won't help you much.
>
> 	could you put it somewhere on the net (ftp/http)?

Sure.  I'll try to find time to do that over the weekend.

FWIW, there were two new files (apm.c apmvar.h), plus about 20 lines added
to the PMU code (and a new struct in the pmu header to return battery
info), plus one-line changes to 3 or 4 config files.  (All of which is
stuff that shouldn't be changing rapidly.  I would be surprised if you
couldn't apply the patches directly to the latest sources.)  It implements
the ioctl()s as described in the latest revision of the APM pec.

>       it should be a
> 	good starting point.  yes, APM is rather i386 specific, but anyway,
> 	it's a start (and hpcmips already has APM-ish power management).

As does sparc (tadpole), I believe.

The other advantage of apm is that there are N battery indicators (N >> 0)
that already know how to talk to /dev/apm.  But...

I'll also put my home-made battery indicator on the net in the same place.
(Its big advantage over the others in the pkgsrc collection is that you
can configure it to take up almost no screen real estate.  I configure
mine to be a 48x1 pixel strip at the top-right of the screen, just above
my xclock.)

Regards,

Ian