Subject: Re: compatibility of new iBook
To: None <ian.piumarta@inria.fr>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/13/2002 00:49:19
Ian Piumarta <ian.piumarta@inria.fr> writes:

> On 13 Jun 2002, Nathan J. Williams wrote:
>
> >    I have a set of kluge patches to report whether AC power is
> >    connected and the battery status, but haven't committed them,
> >    because Fn-F1 causing a kernel printf is a pretty lousy
> >    interface...
>
> A few months back I wrote the driver for the APM emulation device plus the
> necessary stuff for it to read what it needs out of the PMU.  This was all
> against 1.5ZC (NFS wasn't working reliably for me in -current) but if you
> want the patches I could dig them out.  Of course, if the new iBook hasn't
> got a PMU then this won't help you much.

I have no reason to think the newer iBook doesn't have a PMU; apple
would have to invent something totally new and then write support code
for it; not really their style.

I ad been avoiding writing APM-mode code since APM is so x86-centric,
and since there are other platforms that could use a more generic
battery management interface (and there's ACPI-mode battery code on
newer PCs, too).

        - Nathan