Subject: Re: compatibility of new iBook
To: Andrew Gould <andrewgould@yahoo.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/13/2002 00:28:12
Andrew Gould <andrewgould@yahoo.com> writes:

> 1. Does anyone know if there any problems with the new
> video card? (The support site describes "Graphics
> support" thusly ; "ATI Mobility Radeon graphics
> accelerator with 16 MB of dedicated graphics memory
> and AGP 2X support")

I don't know of problems, but I'm using XFree86 4, not the
3.3.whatever that was shipped. Since it works fine on my older
(500MHz) iBook, I'll go out on a limb and assume it works fine.

> 2.  I have Wasabi's package set for 1.5.2.  Should I
> wait for NetBSD 1.6?

Probably. Lots of good stuff in 1.6.

> 3.  If anyone has loaded NetBSD on one of these
> computers, do you have any advice?

 * use the modem patch I just posted (unless by "new software modem"
   you mean that they did something dumb. Since OS X supports it, we
   should be able to steal the necessary code from them)

 * firerwire is not yet usable for what you would probably want to do
   with it (video cameras, disks)

 * be aware that we have no power management support - we can't even
   turn off the LCD backlight (which sucks. and I've tried to fix it).
   I have a set of kluge patches to report whether AC power is
   connected and the battery status, but haven't committed them,
   because Fn-F1 causing a kernel printf is a pretty lousy
   interface...

 * There's no audio driver yet. Also on my to-do list, but don't
   expect to use it in NetBSD as a multimedia terminal; use OS X for
   that.

        - Nathan