Subject: Re: ibook
To: Kamal Prasad <kamalpr@yahoo.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/11/2002 13:41:27
Kamal Prasad <kamalpr@yahoo.com> writes:

>  I wanted to buy an iBook to use as a remote
> debugger(kgdb). but it lacks a serial port. has anyone
> used an ibook for the same and if so how?

If you mean you want to run GDB on the iBook and connect to another
system's serial port, you can use a USB serial adapter; they work
fine for this purpose.

If, instead, you want to have the iBook as the target of the
debugging, that will not work, and you are better off getting a Mac
with a serial port (almost all desktop Macs that ship without serial
ports can have a third-party serial port installed that replaces the
onboard modem). If you really need to use an iBook, the best approach
would probably be to get the IPKGDB code in shape to work with the
onboard GEM ethernet.

        - Nathan