Subject: Re: I lost my screen
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/08/2002 14:38:05
--OiITrshLgfui8fEl

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 10:42:52PM -0700, Ken Kelly wrote:
> I am using a macppc 7500.  I have successfully installed netbsd.  Since I
> was having sync problems with my monitor and applied the open firmware pa=
tch
> for monitor synch.  I then realized I couldn't setenv to deal with boot
> taking place before my disk was ready, so I went back to the unpatched op=
en
> firmware.

Contrary to popular opinion, it is possible to have both the video
patches and the "wait for the disk to spin up" settings on a 7500. I
know because I do, and it works fine, and the console comes up. But
I mean "comes up" as in "is up now and I'd really rather not go
double-check what I've done because it's my MTA". ;^>

So, from memory, to get your machine back in working order, do
something like this:

1. Connect something to the serial port.

2. Zap your PRAM (yeah, I know, ouch; hope you wrote the settings
you want down somewhere)

3. Boot with cmd-opt-O-F

4. Get a console on the serial line

5. Enter both the video and the disk patch by hand in nvedit;
nvstore; reset-all

6. cmd-opt-O-F again to make sure your settings took, then use the
online method for changing input and output devices (I never recall
it, and it seems to be gone from the FAQ again, Michael?) so that
you don't have to sit through a reset-all. Play with output first
(/chaos/control *should* work), since switching input should Just
Work.

7. setenv {in,out}put-device, reset-all, make sure it works

Probably a setenv auto-boot? false in there would be a really good
idea. (I do this all the time when working on hardware. On Suns,
too. Its utility is far underrated. In that no one, even in the Sun
world, talks about using it.)

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net