Subject: need model info updates/testers
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/07/2002 18:37:38
Howdy,

We're in the process of getting 1.6 ready for release.  Off and on, various
people have had problems with -current (on which 1.6 is based) on certain
models.  So, I'd like if people could just try to boot the 1.6 beta kernel
on their machine to confirm/deny that things are OK (or if they need work).

In particular, some of the newer models have been reported as having
problems (such as the PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet), PowerBook G4 (DVI),
and G4/867,933,1000MP (Quicksilver 2002)).

So, please take a moment to download the latest 1.6 beta kernel and try
booting it.  This is easy if you've already got NetBSD installed (you just
type in a different kernel name at the Open Firmware boot prompt).

I have tested on my PowerMacintosh 8500 and PowerBook (FireWire), and aside
from netbooting everything appears to work fine.  There are a couple of
models that no one has really given definitive answers on, so I'd
appreciate if y'all could test those:
PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet)
PowerBook G4 (DVI)
PowerMacintosh G4/733,867,800MP (Quicksilver)
PowerMacintosh G4/867,933,1000MP (Quicksilver 2002)
Apple Xserve
iMac (Summer 2001)
iMac (Flat Panel)
eMac
iBook (FireWire), iBook SE (FireWire)
iBook (Late 2001)
iBook (14.1 LCD)
iBook (Summer 2002)

These are all Open Firmware 3 models, so it's simply a matter of
downloading the following two files to the top level of your hard drive and
typing
0 > boot hd:ofwboot.xcf netbsd.GENERIC_MD.gz

ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/200206060000/macppc/installation/ofwboo
t.xcf
ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/200206060000/macppc/binary/kernel/netbs
d.GENERIC_MD.gz

For Open Firmware 1 and 2 systems, just drop netbsd.GENERIC_MD.gz at the
top level of your NetBSD filesystem (i.e. /) and in Open Firmware do:
setenv boot-file netbsd.GENERIC_MD.gz
reset-all

To go back to your normal kernel, just
unsetenv boot-file

If that doesn't work (due to the age of your bootloader), simply trying the
boot floppy should be sufficient.
ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/200206060000/macppc/installation/floppy
/boot.fs

Thanks!

  -- MW