Subject: Re: evaluating symbols in ddb
To: Kamal Prasad <kamalpr@yahoo.com>
From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/06/2002 11:16:48
> unlike FreeBSD, NetBSD requires the kernel be compiled
> with USE_KGDB to use remote gdb. so, I could end up
> looking at a machine that was not pre-compiled for
> that and have to extract max info from that scenario.
> how stable is the #ifdef KGDB code wrt DDB btw?
> thanks

FYI,

All GDB needs is a connection to the target that provides a mechanism
for obtaining register and memory values.  That mechanism can be a rom
monitor, a remote debug agent (kgdb), a jtag probe, or even another
debugger.  ddb is sufficient for this task.  The missing piece is a
remote-nbsd.c module (in GDB) that lets GDB talk ``ddb''.

While kgdb is certainly more reliable than something parsing ddb output,
ddb (as you note :-) is sometimes all you have.

enjoy,
Andrew