Subject: Re: 1.5.3_RC2 swap question
To: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/03/2002 14:57:57
On Fri, 3 May 2002, paul beard wrote:

> I have been trying to install galeon from pkgsrc and I keep
> running into a write issue with / filling up. It turns out my swap
> partition (129 Mb) is not being used: /tmp is mounted under / and
> cc uses that as scratch space, filling it up. I watched top while
> the build was going on: swap stayed empty (129 mb free), but the
> build failed due to a lack of disk space.

Why would /tmp be using swap? If / is filling up because of stuff in /tmp,
then you have no file system mounted at /tmp.

Also, netbsd doesn't have a swapfs, we have a memory file system. The
difference is that mfs doesn't automagically grow to fill all of swap.

> I blew away /tmp, created a bogus tmp directory on a disk with a
> lot of free space and linked it: tried my build again, problem
> went away.
>
> everything looks fine in fstab: the disklabel is good. What am I
> missing?

Not sure. What do you have in your fstab?

Take care,

Bill