Subject: Re: 1.5.3_RC2 swap question
To: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/03/2002 17:59:16
Hi,

> I have been trying to install galeon from pkgsrc and I keep
> running into a write issue with / filling up. It turns out my swap
> partition (129 Mb) is not being used: /tmp is mounted under / and
> cc uses that as scratch space, filling it up. I watched top while
> the build was going on: swap stayed empty (129 mb free), but the
> build failed due to a lack of disk space.
>
> I blew away /tmp, created a bogus tmp directory on a disk with a
> lot of free space and linked it: tried my build again, problem
> went away.

swap is for virtual memory; disk usage is completely different than swap
usage. The fact that your swap wasn't used just means you have enough
memory that your system never needed to swap during the build.

John Klos
--
A student, in hopes of understanding the Lambda-nature, came to
Greenblatt.  As they spoke a Multics system hacker walked by.  "Is it