Subject: Permissions?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: JHSJ <jeff@praeclara.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/21/2002 08:24:13
First, I'd like to say that the macppc port of NetBSD is getting better
all the time!
I just installed the latest on my G3 Series 266mhz Powerbook and it went
off withut a hitch.  The docs are clear and accurate, the install
process is the same as it ever was (easy via ftp) and this is the most
stable version I've used (beginning with 1.4).  Great job, folks!

I also ahve a small permissions problem (I think).  I want to do some
scanning on my UMAX Astra 1200s scsi scanner (/dev/ss0).  It works
without problems as root.  It does not work as a regular user "No
devices available.")

After a google search and some looking around, I gather that this is a
simple permissions problem, but I still can't find the magic combination
to get it working as a regular user.  Can anyone shed some light please?

While I can do the basic setup for NetBSD (a small httpd setup for my
students, postfix, firewall, etc) I am not terribly well-versed in the
little (fundamental?) ins and outs of the OS and could use a little help
here.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Jeffrey P. Hergan, Ph.D.