Subject: PM7500 SCSI woes
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John D. Baker <jdbaker@blkbox.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/28/2002 22:03:18
I've been scouring the archives of this list for answers to the problems
I've been having.  I've seen similar ones, but the stated solution does
not work for me.

Setup:

    PowerMac 7500 w/MPC604e @180MHz
    112MB RAM
    scsi-int: ID0: Seagate 2GB
              ID3: CD-ROM
    scsi: ID0:  Quantum Empire 1080S (used SUN disk)

The idea was to install NetBSD 1.5 on the disk attached to the external
SCSI bus (scsi), since MacOS9.1 is on the internal SCSI disk.

Everything works perfectly in MacOS, internal, external--no problems.

Booting NetBSD install floppy, the kernel/drivers can't even identify
the disk on the external bus, instead reporting a stream of errors
before giving up--they are exactly the same as have been reported
by others in the past.  Usually a phase error in response to some
command, which appears not to have been a legitimate command anyway.

I switched to a Seagate hawk 2GB drive on the external bus and it
worked better, but always accompanied by errors before a successful
command completion.

If I can ever set it up again, I'll try to capture the errors (have
to keep it packed away due to limited space/time).

Thanks,

--
John D. Baker                                  jdbaker(at)blkbox(dot)com
http(colon slash slash)www(dot)blkbox(dot)com(slash tilde)jdbaker(slash)