Subject: Re: Booting of an internal ZIP drive.. Please help as I am at a
To: Paul Doyle <pdoyle@ubiquity.net>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/21/2002 16:27:08
At 7:50 PM +0000 2/21/02, Paul Doyle wrote:

:)I have a PowerBook 3400c, with an internal VST ZIP drive.
:)
:)I have formatted the ZIP100 Disk as an HFS disk, and placed all the
:)files form the installation down load on it, at the top level [sets,
:)etc. etc.]

The install notes should answer the questions you have.  In particular, you
have a PowerBook 3400, which is listed as having Open Firmware 2.0.x.  In
the section on "Available Boot Media", Open Firmware 2.0.x does *not*
support HFS formatted disks as a bootable device.

Format your Zip disk with a supported filesystem.

Additionally, the install notes and FAQ say that HFS is not natively
supported by NetBSD/macppc either.  You will need to install additional
userland tools to access files on a HFS partition.

  -- MW