Subject: Re: Help - trouble installing SCSI drive with adaptec-2940UW
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/29/2002 15:41:58
On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> >Ah, yes -- sorry; you'll have to do that as well.
>
> Is there a way to hardwire the bus order so the external drives are
> on scsibus3 or something and don't change the assignments of internal
> drives?

Won't do what you want. You can hardwire the external bus to be say #3,
but if you don't hardwire the internal ones, they will show up as bus #4,
bus #5, etc. That's cause device* attachments get numbers greater than the
highest wired-down one.

Also, won't do what you want as the scsi busses are scanned in attach
order, not numberical order. Like in my machine, I wired down scsibus0 to
the MESH, and scsibus1 & scsibus2 are on the Adaptec. But since they are
found in the order: #1, #2, #0, drives are found first on scsibus1, then
scsibus2, then scsibus0. So if you don't wire down the drives themselves,
you get the same sd numbers, just at different busses.

Take care,

Bill