Subject: Re: wishlist for ssh package?
To: paulbeard <paulbeard@mac.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/26/2002 05:13:00
--wv56KCa6/aA7yLgk

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 02:43:50PM -0800, paulbeard wrote:
> mea culpa: I did not turn sshd on in rc.conf. I made the keys by hand and=
> suspect added sshd to rc.local (those linux habits will take some time to
> forget).=20

No sweat. Those habits were the right thing to do in NetBSD not so
very long ago.

There are still fairly legitimate reasons to use pkgsrc versions of
sshd (you'd know if you had a specific reason), but most people will
be served just fine by the in-tree ones these days (I certainly am).

Even so, the pkgsrc versions provide useable rc scripts last I
checked, and copying those from /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d to /etc/rc.d is
quite reasonable.

(Come to think of it, there may be a switch to flick in rc.conf to
make rcorder scan /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d too, but I could be completely
making that up. At the least, changing the line that begins files=3D`...
in /etc/rc to include /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/* at the end would do the
trick. Overriding it from /etc/rc.conf won't work, as files is set
after the sourcing of rc.conf in rc.)

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net