Subject: Re: Internet settings NEW
To: Anton Kiland <anton@kiland.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/22/2002 16:41:51
On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Anton Kiland wrote:

> i do not have any domain registered
>
> telia.com is the company who serves my internet (Telia)
>
> and kiland.com is bought by my cousin and he just lets me have an email
> address there...
>
> but i will register a name sometime in the future

You don't need to register a domain if you don't want to. You only need a
domain if you want other computers to reach you. If you want only to reach
the outside world, you're fine w/o.

If you want to set up a web server others can reach, you will either need
to get a domain, or maybe ask your cousin to register a name for you.

Oh, if your ISP is giving you a dynamic IP address, registering things in
DNS could be tricky.

If all you want to do is have the machines in your house be able to reach
the outside, you can either set up a caching name server, or just
hard-code them to use the DNS servers from your ISP.

Take care,

Bill