Subject: Re: Is the kernel designed to return?
To: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@gatwood.net>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/15/2002 01:46:01
--Er97KPJOrxRt+yKZ

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 10:42:03PM -0800, David A. Gatwood wrote:
[8200]
> Yeah.  non-US-only.  I'd forgotten it even existed.

Someone popped up on the mailing list with one not so very long ago.
Wonder if he's still around...

> NetBSD runs on a lot of machines.  It doesn't technically "support" any
> machines at all, beyond help on mailing lists.  Mac OS X also runs on a
> lot of machines, but it "supports" most G3 and G4 machines.  A lot of
> people run OS X on older machines.  When things don't work, though, you're
> pretty much on your own, beyond help on mailing lists.  :-)

I was under the impression that Mac OS X (or the software version of
the Mac OS ROM?) was hamstrung such that it wouldn't run on (say)
PowerComputing machines. Is that not true?

At any rate, my point was NetBSD will runs on more Apple hardware
than Mac OS X does right now if you take a few moments to understand
how to install it, while there is simply no way to run Mac OS X on
(say) my old Performa 636. This, perhaps, is wheat better for
netbsd-advocacy's mill, though. :^>

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net