Subject: Re: Is the kernel designed to return?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@stack.nl>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/14/2002 21:43:57
Todd Vierling wrote:
> My point was that the low-level interface to non-OFW PowerMacs is so
> different from that of OFW machines that keeping them in the same port won't
> be a particularly easy task.

Well, I may sound stupid, but how does Linuxppc cope with that?

> Thus, we may be better off (and more within NetBSD's design goals) to have
> them separate.

The point of many non-OF powermacs is that while they *seem* to be quite
close to a NUBUS mac, they differentiate enough to make it a difficult
task. I once tried to comprehend a Performa 5200 (603, Quadra 630 based),
but failed miserably because of Apple not wanting to share information about
their glue logic.

> Heck, MacOS X dropped support for the NuBus machines, too.  Wonder if Apple
> knows something odd about these machines that we don't.  8-)

Having run MacOS X for a brief period on my Beige G3/233, I can say that
it wouldn't be workable anyway.

--
    Martijn van Buul -  Pino@dohd.org - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
	 Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333