Subject: Re: Is the kernel designed to return?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/14/2002 14:47:12
On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Bill Studenmund wrote:

: Also, if we want to use the Apple booters (which would be nice), we have
: to be able to quiesce (sp?) OF (or run with it quiesced). To be able to
: run w/o OF callbacks is most of the same problem as running on NuBus
: boxes. So if we solve it for one, we solve it for the other. :-)

OFW callbacks are inherently *useful* -- going on a crusade to eliminate OFW
usage on "all" machines is not the best idea.  Among other things, it's a
very important way to get bootstrap console and device enumeration support
on a machine with a new device tree layout.

With that said, your implicit assumption about how a port for NuBus machines
would be merged ("by not using OFW at all") is not quite valid.  8-)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/