Subject: Re: Beige G3 audio?
To: Martijn van Buul <pino@dohd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/11/2002 10:26:52
On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Martijn van Buul wrote:

> What is the status of the 'awacs' sound driver? Is it supposedly working
> now? I've got a beige G3, and internal sound (on the 'whisper' personality
> card, no video) is playing a bit dumb. The card is working on other OSses
> (I can hear the startup chime), and it's recognized by the kernel:
>
> awacs0 at obio0 offset 0x14000: irq 17,8,9
> audio1 at awacs0: full duplex
>
> (audio0 is the soundblaster PCI128 I've slipped in, in order to get any
> music ;)

Heh, I use a creative labs one to get sound too. :-)

> When I try to cat /dev/audio1, I get an 'awacs_trigger_input called' message
> in the kernel log, but a 'cat: /dev/audio1: Operation not permitted' on
> the issuing terminal.

I don't think recording is supported yet.

> If I try to do sound I/O to /dev/audio1, everything seems to be working
> just fine (The device is sinking data at the right speed), but I don't
> hear anything at all - not on the internal speaker, not on the sound output
> jack.
>
> I've tried toying with the mixer, but that doesn't really help. It only
> supports three changable settings:
>
> monitor.output=speaker  { speaker headphones }
> outputs.speaker=80 volume
> outputs.headphones=240,240 volume
>
> When I try to change monitor.output, I get nice "output_select mask 0x2"
> and ... 0x1 messages in /var/log/messages, but that's about it. Any hints
> would be welcome. I tried booting the -current snapshot from about a
> week ago, but that didn't quite work - I'm getting loads of complaints
> from /dev/wdc0 - including the dreaded "missing interrupt". At some point,
> it just dies.

That's exactly what I get.

From looking at things, the driver is fine. I think the problem is that we
need to tell the personality card to enable the sound. I tried porting the
adb-using volume controls from linuxppc, but even with adding the right
commands, it didn't work. I don't remember how much (if any) of that I
checked in.

I think the problem is that we have to send these commands (to change
volume) out over the pseudo-adb bus, and we aren't doing it right.

Take care,

Bill