Subject: Re: tlp0 vs de0 again
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/04/2002 11:44:03
--RASg3xLB4tUQ4RcS

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 11:25:55AM -0500, Josh Kuperman wrote:
> 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'base.tgz' (19890531 bytes).
>   0% |                                     |     0       0.00 KB/s    --:=
--
> ETA                                                                      =
> lp0: receive ring overrun
>                                              40208      39.15         08:=
15
> ETA                                          78980      38.51            =
22
> ETAtlp0: receive ring overrun
>                                                110 KB   36.89            =
43

Ugh. I doubt it's news, but something's evil in the tlp driver. I
asked this yesterday someone and no one replyed (Jason?): which of
de and tlp is currently preferred? Is one on its way to deprecation?
(This would seem logical, since they're designed for at least some
of the same hardware.) Does one support more chipsets than the
other? Is one cleaner than the other?

Imho, we should go with what works now for both INSTALL and GENERIC
in macppc, but if that's not the one that's staying in NetBSD
longterm (1.6 and beyond), we need to be aware of that.

> I agree 100%.  Though, with my Asante DEC 21140A, de only gives me 10Base=
-T
> option (even though it's recognized as 10/100) and tlp gives me a lot of
> buffering issues (it keeps increasing the buffers)

=2E.. and no ifconfig deX media setting changes this? (That's queer.)

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

--RASg3xLB4tUQ4RcS