Subject: Re: tlp0 vs de0 again
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Josh Kuperman <josh@ssimr.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/04/2002 11:25:55
I almost feel sorry about bringing it up. But this is exactly my
problem as I have the Asante card, which works fine at 10BaseT but
keeps getting those buffer problems. I assume the 'recieve ring
overrun' messages are a sign of those problems. I attempted to install
a more recent snapshot last night and failed. I believe thatit may in
fact make a different which is supported. I believe the buffer
problems withthe tulip driver scramble data. That is for the
networking features to work for the install and afterword, it would
have to be de or a tlp driver, or any driver, that worked with the
Asante card.  (I have no idea why there are problems with that Asante
card. It worked fine with the MacOS -- but it was designed for that OS
as far as I can tell, I neve saw one in a PC. I am at sea about the
best options -- it does remind me of about four or five years ago when
the guy at NASA was writing all those drivers for Tulip cards and on
one of the Linux lists about half of the discussion was devoted to
Tulip cards, but I couldn't follow any of that either. All versions of
RedHat since 5.2 supported the card I cared about at that time, so it
became irrelevant.)

As I said, I do feel bad about starting this up with my initial
post. While, yes, if the install works with tlp0 or de0 and the
install sets up networking, it should have the same interface after
the system reboots. It is of course trivial to rename one file in /etc
so that tlp0 becomes de0, which is enough for the network to use the other interface. What I feel really bad about is that my initial belief that the
install worked inspite of the problems with the tlp0 interface ftp'ing
the distribution was false. It was a corrupt installation that failed
in a few days. (Of course it could have failed for lots of other
reasons -- and I have no way to tell. The file systems just became
corrupt and unstable and I couldn't boot normally and fsck failed to
remedy the problems.)

150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'base.tgz' (19890531 bytes).
  0% |                                     |     0       0.00 KB/s    --:--
ETA                                                                        t
lp0: receive ring overrun
                                             40208      39.15         08:15
ETA                                          78980      38.51            22
ETAtlp0: receive ring overrun
                                               110 KB   36.89            43

:)I think part of what happened was that the favorite add-in ethernet card
:)was one made by Asante, which used the family of chips the de & tlp cover.
:)
:)I really don't think it matters which we support, de or tlp, but that the
:)installer and GENERIC match.

I agree 100%.  Though, with my Asante DEC 21140A, de only gives me 10Base-T
option (even though it's recognized as 10/100) and tlp gives me a lot of
buffering issues (it keeps increasing the buffers)

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us