Subject: Re: so how does LinuxPPC do this?
To: None <paulbeard@mac.com>
From: Kevin Diggs <kevdig@rcn.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/20/2001 10:03:51
Paul,

    I think NetBSD (and obviously OF) are trying to "use the card through OF".
Linux may be going straight to the hardware (by assumming it is somewhat VGA
like?). The problem you are having isn't really with NetBSD. It is with OF.
When you boot MacOS with this system, what do you see on the screen before it
starts MacOS. For example my 8600 shows the cross hatch background. I suspect
this is comming from OF (something the AAPL,ROM writes there using OF support
before the OS starts). After MacOS has begun booting, it switches to the funny
background with the faces.

    One interesting point about the ims TT card I have. It has a MacOS driver
on the ROM. This is in addition to the OF support. This can be seen in the
properties. This may be how this card works under MacOS. Maybe its OF stuff is
sorely broken but it has a MacOS driver on the ROM that works.

    It is a long shot, but you might try contacting ATI with the BIOS revision
and asking them if they know whether this card should work with OF?

                    kevin