Subject: Re: Wavelan/Airport Trouble
To: NetBSD/macppc list <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Valdes <valdes@uchicago.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/29/2001 12:38:38
On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 01:14:54AM +0100, Ulrich Habel wrote:

> I just ran into the following problem. I am using a Macintosh
> G3 Powerbook (bronze keyboard) with a Lucent Orinoco wireless
> lan card I try to connect it to a Apple Airport Basis station
> without any success.

I've successfully connected to an Apple Airport base station from a
similar G3 Powerbook using the older Wavelan (Gold) card under
NetBSD.

> Here is a brief description of the problem:
> [...]
> The card is been recognized at boot time:
> wi0 at pcmcia0 function 0
> wi0: address 02:00:06:2d:f4:44
>
> the ifconfig.wi0 file:
>
> !/usr/sbin/wiconfig wi0 -p 1
> !/usr/sbin/wiconfig wi0 -n "Leya"
> !/usr/sbin/wiconfig wi0 -e 1
> !/usr/sbin/wiconfig wi0 -k 0123456789
> !/usr/sbin/wiconfig wi0 -f 1
> inet 192.168.1.199 netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> the card flashes during configuration but isnt working
> proper. The nwid isnt set correctly as it changes back
> to NetBSD ISS after a short time. I am somewhat confused
> about this - as I can connect to the basis station
> when I use the good olī MacOS.
>
> Any ideas ?

I'm not familiar w/ embedding wiconfig commands in ifconfig.wi0, but
it looks like your problem is the specification of the key (the arg to
the -k option).  Specifically, if you're providing the key as hex
digits, you need to prefix the key with "0x", eg:

  !/usr/sbin/wiconfig wi0 -k 0x0123456789

Additionally, it would probably be simpler (though maybe not
required) to collect all the separate wiconfig commands into one:

  !/usr/sbin/wiconfig wi0 -n "Leya" -e 1 -k 0x0123456789

Also, verify that 0x0123456789 is the correct key value (well, I
assume you made this specific key up, for illustrative purposes...);
if you have admin access to the base station, access it under MacOS
using the Airport Admin utility, and under one of the menus (Tools?
I'm booted under NetBSD at the moment and can't check...), you'll find
a command like "Show network equivalent password" or similar.  Select
that item, and it will tell you the key in hex.  Alternately, if you
have a working java implementation under NetBSD (I don't), you could
use the java configurator from
http://edge.mcs.drexel.edu/GICL/people/sevy/airport/

HTH,

John