Subject: Re(2): New powerbook g4
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@mipsys.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/26/2001 10:20:49
>D'oh.  Well, at least it should run NetBSD, albeit not as fast as it
>should.  It's probably because they're using the 7450 with on-chip 256 KB
>L2 cache, instead of backside cache.  I'll bet someone knows how to fix
>this.

I've got linux running on it, you should have no problem with netbsd,
what I've found so far about the HW is:

  -  UniNorth 1.5 (133Mhz memory bus capable, fast write & write combine
     on AGP supported, like recent desktop G4 models)
  -  KeyLargo rev. 3, same as older pbooks, so all devices in there work
     just out of the box
  -  Radeon M6 works with XFree 4.1.99 CVS head
  -  GMAC has a yet unknown PHY chip apparently from Marvell (any detail
     about this one is welcome, even the OF code of the machine don't seem
     to know about it). It works in generic mode, but no gigabit until we
     get more infos about it. Maybe BSD's generic MII layer is better here ;)
  -  The cardbus bridge is a TI1410
  -  The CPU is indeed a 7450 with on-die cache.
  -  The modem is probably a lost cause. Apple replaced the good old Cobalt
     serial/I2c modem with an USB softmodem made by conexant (rockwell). It
     appears on the USB bus when the modem power bit is toggled in KeyLargo
     (same one as for older models). MacOS 9 uses a +500k proprietary driver
     to drive it.
     There might be a possibility that Apple/conexant agree to release the
     core of this driver as a binary library we could use inside a driver
     wrapper, in this case we could produce a binary driver for NetBSD and
     Linux, but that would require some support from Apple I beleive.

Regards,
Ben.