Subject: Re: installation on a powerbook G4
To: Rob Latham <rob@terizla.org>
From: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@tiac.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/19/2001 10:11:26

> since the powerbook G4 (titanium ) needs a -current kernel to boot (
> yep, i've got the new boot rom ), i've been trying to install the
> 20011111-15Y snapshot.

I also tried basically the same thing, to similar results.
I've been hoping to see a .iso image floating around with
-current on it, but not so far...

> . First, going from http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/bootcd.html i've
> made a (theoretically) bootable cd.  The version of mkisofs i'm using
> says it's merged with mkisofs, so i had to change the command line a
> little bit.  I made the image with
> 	mkhybrid -o output.iso -hfs -l -J -r -L /cdsources
> and i've got a top level directory that looks like this:
> rob@smaug:~/tmp/mnt$ ls -l
> total 3997
> dr-xr-xr-x    4 root     root         2048 Nov 17 20:34 macppc
> -r-xr-xr-x    1 root     root      3975775 Nov 11 02:48 netbsd.macppc
> -r--r--r--    1 root     root        58284 Nov 17 20:35 ofwboot.elf
> -r--r--r--    1 root     root        55444 Nov 17 20:35 ofwboot.xcf
>
> . getting into openfirmware is easy, but either the cd is not bootable, or
>   i'm missing something:
>
> dir cd:0,\ doesn't work, though it sounds like it's trying.  I get
> "method <dir> not found; ihandle=ffbc5f00 phandle=ff8d4e68 DIR method
> failed" , though i can "dir hd:9,\" and get a listing.  "dir cd:1,\" and
> "dir cd:2,\"  hang OF

I don't know about the dir stuff, but i seem to recall
that sometimes on the cd you need capitalized file names.
I don't know when though. Since I never got netbsd to boot
on my powerbook g4, I have no experience (but want some).

--
Joseph Sarkes		jsarkes@tiac.net