Subject: Newbie question re: NetBSD networking
To: MacPPC <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Steven Sartorius <ssartor@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/08/2001 12:38:44
Hi,

If this is a FAQ I apologize in advance...I'm a refugee from LinuxPPC!

I just installed NetBSD-1.5.2 on the second drive in my aging Umax J700.
The machine's been upgraded over the years with a NewerTech 250MHz G3 card,
a Belkin USB board and an ATI XCLAIM 3D video card.  Under Linux I used the
machine as a router/firewall for my home network -- the built in ethernet
faces my DSL line and an AsanteFast NIC faces the network.  And therein lies
the problem.

The Asante was recognized by sysinst as a tlp device but that interface
didn't exist in the GENERIC kernel that was initially installed by 1.5.2.
After downloading the 1.5.2 sources and reading the tlp man page and the
mailing list archives I built a new kernel with no de driver. I included  a
tlp driver and the various 'options TLP_MATCH_21*' parameters.  On booting
this kernel the tlp is recognized as 'tlp0 at pci 0 dev 14 function 0:
Lite-On 82C169 Ethernet, pass 2.0'.  I ifconfiged the card with IP address
192.168.0.1 and manually added a route to one of the machines on my network
('route add 192.168.0.3 192.168.0.1').  When I try to ping 192.168.0.3,
though, no luck -- the packets seem to be going out but I get no response
from the pinged machine.  FWIW, my home network runs fine on the Mac side of
this box using IPNetRouter.

So I'm kinda stumped.  Am I doing something blatantly wrong configuring the
network, is there a problem with the tlp driver, is the card being
improperly initialized by OF or is the card too buggy (as the tlp man page
seems to say) to work under NetBSD?

Any help much appreciated.

thanks,

Steve

p.s. I also have questions about how to print out of /dev/ulpt0 and how to
get Xfree86 to work but I'll save those for later :),