Subject: Re: Apple iBook (dual USB)
To: Ryan Boder <boder@cmu.edu>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/08/2001 13:31:14
Ryan Boder <boder@cmu.edu> writes:

> I would like to install netbsd on my ibook2. Right now it contains
> partitions for the apple drivers (but no macos) and my linux partitions. I
> saved a 1.7G partition for netbsd to be installed.

This should be fine. Unfortunately, I didn't save my instructions on
how to do this, so this is going a little from memory...

> My first problem is that I burned a CD from the iso image and it would not
> boot via the instructions on the web site. Have other people done that on
> an ibook2?

Haven't tried the CD install for NetBSD.

> Are there other ways to install on an ibook2? I would do a net install but
> you need a floppy for that right?

"sort of". I put ofwboot.xcf and the floppy image on my HFS partition
and booted from there; that let me do a net install (over the wired
ethernet, in 1.5.2). If you don't have a HFS partition that won't work
(and will be a problem long-term; you need a HFS partition to store
the bootloader).

> Also I thought I read somewhere that netbsd must use the whole disk to
> work properly right now. Is that true or will I be able to share it with
> my existing Linux installation?

The sysinst install procedure in 1.5.2 wants to use the entire
disk. You have to cheat somewhat (it's described in the install
notes), manually newfs the filesystems, and then tell sysinst to do an
upgrade, rather than an install.

        - Nathan