Subject: Booting - what's the magic? - answered, sort-of.
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/07/2001 12:17:41
I found the page in the FAQ that described installboot and making
a disk bootable.  I tried it and it didn't work - at first...

What I did:

(boot from floppy)
mount /dev/sd0g /usr
mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
cp /usr/mdec/ofwboot /mnt/boot
/usr/mdec/installboot /mnt/boot /usr/mdec/bootxx /dev/rsd0a
reboot

	(no joy - DEFAULT CATACH...)

(boot from floppy)
mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
			# note no mount of /dev/sd0g /usr
cp /usr/mdec/ofwboot /mnt/boot
/usr/mdec/installboot /mnt/boot /usr/mdec/bootxx /dev/rsd0a
reboot

	(no joy - DEFAULT CATACH...)

(boot from floppy)
mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
			# note no mount of /dev/sd0g /usr
cp /usr/mdec/ofwboot /mnt/boot
/usr/mdec/installboot -v /mnt/boot /usr/mdec/bootxx /dev/rsd0a
sync
sync
sync
reboot

	(works now)

What did it?  sync? -v?  Is there some reason the /usr/mdec
from the mounted /usr should not work, where the one from the
/usr on the floppy should?

-dgl-