Subject: Difficulties with Graphite G4...
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Kyle Rollin <macppc@orbimus.dhs.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/30/2001 01:52:57
Hey, all..

I'm having a small problem installing NetBSD 1.5.1 or 1.5.2 to a PowerMac
G4.

I did some searching and found out that NetBSD 1.5.2 solved the CMD0646
PCI IDE controller problems, but I'm not so sure of that.. my reasoning
follows.

I've tried booting from both the hard disk on the CMD0646 IDE controller
(a 1.2GB WD from about 4-5 years ago :>), and the kernel will hang with
this error:

vendor 0x1095 product 0x0646 (IDE mass storage, interface 0x8f, revision
0x07) at pci1 dev1 function0 not configured

Okay, so I did some fiddling. I have an internal ZIP drive, so I copied
the necessary boot files to the ZIP drive, had a word with System Disk and
had the machine boot directly from the ZIP drive, bypassing OpenFirmware's
prompts.

When it boots from the ZIP drive, the kernel boots, the error is present,
but doesn't hang. It does not detect any drives on the CMD0646 IDE
controller. It detects the CDROM and the ZIP drive, and sysinst pleasantly
offers to partition sd0 (the ZIP drive) as the only drive detected.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, or if I've managed to uncover
something that wasn't covered by the fix...

-Kyle Rollin
macppc@orbimus.dhs.org