Subject: installation to titanium powerbook g4
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@tiac.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/25/2001 10:06:57
Well, I now have a titanium powerbook, which I actually
got to install netbsd. Not having any apple experience,
I am on a learning curve. Anyways, I have questions, which
haven't been answered by the install notes, etc. that I
have read.

1) can I boot netbsd off of a firewire drive? or even use
the firewire drive? firewire cd-rw? Or do I have to install
it onto the internal hard drive?

2) I think the machine came with the 4.1.8? firmware. Will the
netbsd 1.5.2 cd I'm downloading not work for me? If not, is
there an easy way to just add a -current kernel to the cd
and keep the boot blocks, etc.?

3) After a great deal of downloading openfirmware docs, faqs,
etc. I still haven't found a boot command or instructions
for this particular machine. Nor have I found the partitioning
program yet in the mac software (reminder, I am a mac neophyte).

4) I admit that I'm not a forth guru, but even in the open
firmware, there is no documentation that I have found that
tells what the valid forth "words" are. Is there a reference
manual I can get to understand how to poke around a little
with it? Basic forth I can get at the bookstore, I'm wondering
about the stuff to read out your machine configuration, build
a boot string, etc.

Thanks in advance. I have probably missed available online
docs, but have already poked around on the netbsd site quite
a bit. urls that point to the above info would be greatly
appreciated, and plain cookbook instructions on getting
netbsd up and running on this particular system would be
even nicer.
--
Joseph Sarkes		jsarkes@tiac.net