Subject: Re: Urgent request for help
To: Monroe Williams <monroe@criticalpath.com>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/13/2001 14:30:30
>> I have personal experience with the Adaptec chips, and know
>> that they are complex and have a number of "undocumented restrictions".
>> It amazes me that the NetBSD team has built a functional driver for
>> these cards (2940, 2940U2W and 39160 families).  This is especially
>> impressive considering that from what I've seen, the work has
>> been done without benefit of a SCSI analyzer.
>
>I was under the impression that at least one version of the NetBSD driver
>was a port of the FreeBSD driver.

That is my understanding, too.  I've never tried to use FreeBSD, though.
My point is that getting it right is difficult.  The fact that it is
there for FreeBSD does not mean it works correctly.

Bear in mind that SCSI is a non-trivial protocol, and various drive vendors
do things on the bus that exercise different parts of the card's driver
code.  You may well have lots of trouble with one type of drive and
smooth sailing with another.  Hard to say.

>Do you know of any other SCSI cards with Open Firmware ROMs that have solid
>driver support in NetBSD?  I'd really like to find an LVD-capable SCSI card
>that works reliably with NetBSD.

OF is a little esoteric, and most manufacturers don't even try to do
it.  Most do extension based drivers for MacOS.  OF is only important
for NetBSD if you want to boot from the card.

I can't help more than that.  Sorry.

-dgl-