Subject: Re: IDE OF Booting
To: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/03/2001 20:06:14
On 8/3/01 7:38 PM, Matthew Theobalds (mtheobalds@mac.com) wrote:

>The dmesg reports that it can see a wd0c, (or perhaps a wdc0, I can't
>quite remember now).
>
>I tried a disklabel wd0, but it says "Device not configured", which
>suggests that it can see it, but doesn't like the partitioning, perhaps?

The disk probably isn't configured.  If your G3 is an early model (like
mine) you might be running into the same problems I found.

The IDE disk on the first controller isn't seen or configured.  Placing
an IDE disk on the second controller works, but you can't boot from it.
This was under NetBSD 1.4.2.

Under NetBSD 1.4.3 the IDE disk on the first controller is seen and
configured but appears to be unusable.  This appears to be the same
problem that is affecting the current iBooks and I think Manual just
fixed this in -current.

After you get past the disk problem you may run into problems with the
ADB/USB keyboard and mouse support under NetBSD 1.5.   They work under
1.4.2 and 1.4.3 but are broken under 1.5, 1.5.1 and (last time I checked)
-current.  I have a work around that seems to solve the problem for some
on 1.5.1 and probably -current.  I think Michael has it in the FAQ now.

>A disklabel sd0 brings out the correct information for the disk which it
>can see.

That's because it saw the SCSI disk.  NetBSD 1.4.2 wouldn't boot with the
Apple SCSI controller installed, but all later versions seem to boot OK.
I never tried using a SCSI disk on my system so I don't know first hand
if it really works.

>> If the install kernel doesn't see the disk, can you move it to be the
>> master on the first IDE controller w/ the CD-ROM elsewhere (either the
>> slave on the first controller or master or slave on the second) and
>> try again?
>
>I could do this, but only as a last resort since I have quite nastily
>cut my thumb on the case already this evening, and don't wish to do it
>again. It will also mean looking for some jumpers for the drives, since
>I haven't enough on them already.

If you do make sure you make it a slave disk.  Don't be surprised if you
can boot MacOS from it but can't boot NetBSD.

>But if I have to do this to succeed, I will. Any more ideas first,
>though?

Save your spare change for that new system and be happy you can run
NetBSD on your 68k system.  :)

BTW, I'm not a Linux user (or advocate) but Yellow Dog 2.0 does boot and
run on these old G3s and it's freely downloadable.

-bob