Subject: Re: Apple internal modems
To: NetBSD macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Valdes <valdes@uchicago.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/31/2001 20:44:30
On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 01:41:23PM +0100, Peter Fairbrother wrote:
> Is anyone doing any work on Apple internal modems? The model-supported-list
> page says that modems do not work on many models - do they actually work on
> any?

I haven't tried it with PPP yet, but I *can* talk to the internal
modem on my PowerBook G3 Lombard using tip.  The kernel (1.5V, though
I think this applies to the 1.5 release kernel too) configures the
modem on zstty0 (at zsc0 channel 0), so the modem is accessible via
/dev/[dt]ty00 (/dev/dty00 is for dialout, /dev/tty00 is for dial in).
If I add the following line to /etc/remote:

  modem:dv=/dev/dty00:br#57600:dc:hf:

I can then talk to the modem (issue AT commands and dial using ATDT)
using "tip modem" (as a member of the "dialer" group or as root,
btw).  I haven't tested this rigorously yet, so I don't know if things
like hardware flow control work or not.  My PowerBook is currently
mute under NetBSD, so I don't hear the modem when it dials, but
otherwise it seems to work fine.

John