Subject: Re: rephrased ifconfig question was Re: ifconfig and zip drive
To: None <josh@ssimr.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/30/2001 17:58:20
On Sun, 29 Jul 2001 josh@ssimr.com wrote:

> I have decided that perhaps I provided too much information, including
> too many things I was making guesses about.
>
> I have my network card from my PowerMac plugged into a LinkSys
> Etherfast DSL/CABLE router with an eight port autosensing 10/100 base
> T switch.
>
> There are three lights for each local connection: link, Full, and
> 100. I can get the link and the 100 light to light but not the full
> light. I took this to mean a full duplex connection was not in
> place. All three lights light from a PC and an iMac that have 100baseT
> capability.

That would tend to indicate that you aren't in full duplex mode. I'm not
100% sure why it didn't negotiate, but oh well.

> > > bash-2.04# ifconfig -mL de0 inet
> > > de0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> > >         address: 00:00:c5:53:3b:dd
> > >         media: Ethernet 100baseTX full-duplex
> > >         status: active
> > >         supported Ethernet media:
> > >                 media 10baseT
> > >                 media 10baseT mediaopt full-duplex
> > >                 media 100baseTX
> > >                 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
> > >                 media autoselect
> > >         inet 192.168.1.6 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
> >
> > Check out the mediaopt options of ifconfig.
>

> I have tried to check out the mediaopt options. The man page page
> tells me to check the documentation for the device "man -k de0"
> provides nothing.

Try "ifconfig de0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex" and see what that
does. I think ifconfig -m is listing the options the interface supports,
so you can just copy & paste. :-)

Take care,

Bill