Subject: Re: usb mouse and user info
To: Marc Baudoin <babafou@babafou.eu.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/30/2001 08:25:07
At 10:53 AM +0200 7/30/01, Marc Baudoin wrote:

:)brendan@cs.uchicago.edu <brendan@cs.uchicago.edu> =E9crit :
:)> > > do you think getting xfree working will make my usb mouse work?
:)> >
:)> > Yes, that's what I use.  What kind of laptop do you have?
:)>
:)> powerbook 1999 bronze keyboard (lombard)
:)>
:)> do you by any chance have an XF86Config file that i could hack on?
:)
:)I have one for my iBook.  I'll send it tonight when I get home.

I managed to hack one together for my pismo (which I already sent to him),
but I really don't quite understand the format.  Personally, I'm a little
baffled at the non-mac-ness of a program that probes your hardware, knows
exactly what you have, but still requires you to figure out a different
name for the same hardware and tell it what you want it to use.

Among all the X servers I've ever used (HP, Sun, MIT X, DEC, etc...) I've
never had to specify anything to get it started, and the config file was
simply for color depth, buffering, and a few incidentals.

In any case, could someone out there write up a nice concise FAQ entry on
how to generate an XF86Config file, and a template to start with?

Thanks,
  -- MW