Subject: Re: kgdb status
To: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/29/2001 16:39:38
On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 01:03:16PM -0700, Michael Wolfson wrote:
> Ohhhh.  I didn't realize that.  I thought it was just a macppc-specific
> issue.  That's reason enough to have a secure X server.

It's the way XF86 likes to get at video card DMA. By way of the
kernel. Meaning it needs to access memory in a way we only allow the
kernel to at secure level >0. At least, that's how I understand the
situation.

(This is a problem on any system that uses XF86, incidentally.
Linux, FreeBSD, whatever.)

> Carry on.

Well, just as soon as I swap out the machine I started on for one
without a borked IDE drive, I will... ;^>

> Though, there is indeed a place for XFree86 on the systems without a PC
> standard video card in the hopes that it'll support more than 8bpp at
> 640x480, even if we don't get acceleration.

Huh? My 6500 at work runs at 1024x768. Only OF 1.0.5 machines are
truly limited to 640x480; Xmacppc will happily use whatever the
framebuffer comes in from OF running at.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net