Subject: Re: kgdb status
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/29/2001 14:51:30
On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 01:44:55PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> The MI zsc/zstty driver has support for KGDB, so if it's not in macppc's
> copy, it shouldn't be hard to add.

This isn't the only thing missing from macppc's zsc/zstty driver,
near as I can tell. I've tried (and failed, repeatedly) to use
minicom between a couple of macppc machines to get OF console
messages on one from an ssh session to the other. (I may have
COMPLETELY missed something, though; I spent definitively too little
time and thought on the configuration.)

We (I'm working with Tia Newhall on the same set of machines) have
just shrugged and reverted to using ZTerm on a MacOS laptop to get
console messages, but that does mean trucking down the stairs to the
server room every time a kernel wigs out on reboot. It'd be nice
not to have to. We're also just going to use a few sparcs for the
kgdb stuff we wanted to do. For now, at least (our work is at least
theoretically machine independant). Considering we have significantly
more macppc machines than sparc machines, and considering building
just about anything, especially a kernel, is significantly faster
on macppc (though it'd be nice if we could get a better-PPC-optimized
gcc in the release toolchain some time this decade), it sure would
be swell to be able to do all this on the macppc machines.

I'll try to look back at making zsc/zstty work the way we want it
to and either submit patches or explain what I was doing wrong and
the right way to go about things depending on how things turn out,
but probably not for about a week. My NetBSD/macppc hacking time this
weekend is going towards making Xmacppc not hang in the color map
code twice a damn day on my workstation at work. (This is just a
touch more personally irritating for me.)

Free candy-gram to anyone who beats me to the serial stuff. ;^>

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net