Subject: Re: pcmcia/cardbus support
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw@blobulent.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/27/2001 15:30:17
At 1:35 PM -0700 7/27/01, Bill Studenmund wrote:

:)On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Michael Wolfson wrote:
:)
:)> Erm, OK.  I guess the kernel can't do that for me, since /dev isn't mounted
:)> yet.
:)>
:)> I was thinking along the lines of:
:)> com0 at [cardbus hardware info]
:)> com0 attached to /dev/tty10
:)> com1 at [usb hardware info]
:)> com1 attached to /dev/ttyU01
:)
:)Because the names of the device nodes are the result of a policy decision
:)made by the super user and which is denoted in /dev. i.e. device name
:)generation is not the business of the kernel. :-)

Yeah, that's what I though.  Ah well.

:)> That'd make life a lot simpler.  Maybe as a compromise, a simple program
:)> (called something like ttyinfo) which just spits out:
:)> com0 is /dev/tty10
:)> com1 is /dev/ttyU01
:)> zstty0 is /dev/tty0
:)> zstty1 is /dev/tty1