Subject: Re: pcmcia/cardbus support
To: 'port-macppc@netbsd.org' <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Phil Frost <daboy@xgs.dyn.dhs.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/27/2001 17:47:43
No, just the protocal the mac uses to transfer on the serial line, the pins,
the handshaking, etc. PCs use rs-232 and macs use rs-422. rs-422 is a twisted
pair version of rs-232 that is tremendously faster. However, to connect an
rs-232 to a rs-422 requires a common ground and some nasty klunking, and in
the process you end up with a much slower connection (115200bps maybe) and
a few missing signals, most noteably RTS, request to send, which asks the
other end to stop sending either so the recieve buffers can be emptied or
data can be sent. Anyhow, this problem can be avoided by using DTR in lieu
of RTS. The moral of the story is that PCs suck and macs rule.